Samueli Foundation Names Laylah Silva Bulman as Program Officer
Bulman’s Extensive Background in Immersive Experiential Learning Will Boost Samueli Foundation Impacts
(Orange County, CA – March 9, 2020) – The Samueli Foundation is thrilled to announce that Laylah Silva Bulman has been hired to be a program officer working closely with its executive director to extend its philanthropic impact around the world.
Bulman has spent more than two decades as an innovative leader in multiple facets of Florida education. Bulman began her career as an Advanced Academics instructor in the Miami-Dade Public Schools system, where she was immediately recognized as a “Rookie Teacher of the Year,” thereafter serving as an Instructional Technology Lead Instructor as Miami Country Day School for nearly a decade.
Following her tenure in public education, Bulman took her experiences and skills into the private education sector where she quickly ascended to national prominence at United Data Technologies (UDT) as a national education strategist. She most recently served as a national Enterprise Director for LEGO Education.
Bulman recently took on the additional role of executive director of the Florida Scholastic Esports League, part of NASEF, a worldwide effort created by the Samueli Foundation to leverage esports to engage kids through their favorite pastime, intertwining gaming with immersive experiential activities and helping them develop sustainable career pathways to become productive successful adults.
In addition to her successful career, Ms. Bulman recognizes her responsibility to “give back” and serves in various volunteer capacities, including: Mentor for STEM Makerspaces in the Tampa Bay Wipro Science Education Fellowship Program; member of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools STEM Advisory Board; and as an annual Congressional App Challenge judge for Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart. In 2015, Bulman was selected to be a member of the Leadership Miami program, a civic leadership development program. She also sits on the Advisory Board of the Consortium of Florida Education Foundations.
“I am deeply humbled and honored to have been asked to become a program officer for the Samueli Foundation,” said Bulman. “I have devoted most of my adult life to trying to make a difference in the lives of children. Working for the Samueli Foundation and its executive director, Gerald Solomon, will provide me an opportunity to coalesce all my experiences under the guidance of a foundation that is deeply committed to social impact and making life better for all around the world.”
As program director, Bulman will work under the direction of executive director Gerald Solomon in a team environment with other foundation employees and partners. Among other responsibilities, she will:
- Successfully manage and expand scholastic esports through FLSEL across Florida as a model for NASEF and NASEF affiliates
- Oversee successful alignment and adoption of NASEF curriculum in Florida in public education, and assist others to do the same
- Support NASEF expansion and development and launch of affiliates around North America and the world
- Support the Foundation’s STEM efforts in Florida, nationally and internationally
- Develop relationships with industry to support Foundation initiatives
- Support the Foundation’s Israel Jewish philanthropic effect, including the study, design and implementation of a venture at Beit Samueli
- Collaborate on the design, develop, launch and implement the Foundation’s nascent Rashi partnership
Prior to her teaching career, Ms. Bulman held positions with the U.S. Department of State, The World Bank and BellSouth. Ms. Bulman is a Woodrow Wilson Fellow and national Hispanic Scholar. She is an honors graduate of University of Virginia, the University of Texas at Austin, and the Heinz College Information Systems of Carnegie Mellon University.
About the Samueli Foundation
The Samueli Foundation strives to create societal value by investing in innovative, entrepreneurial and sustainable ideas. It supports endeavors that embody the following objectives:
- Promote scholastic, technical, and creative exploration and achievement
- Build a community of sharing, acceptance and altruism
- Increase awareness, knowledge and opportunities
- Enhance the quality of life of the underserved
Learn more at www.Samueli.org.
 NASEF: the North America Scholastic Esports Federation